What should I buy my partner for Valentines day? What should I buy my husband, wife, lover, fiancee?
Valentines day, it goes without saying comes every year. So how come every year it is a nightmare having to try and choose a Valentines day gift? Do new gift ideas come on the market every year? Not really. Does your partner change every year? They may do from time to time but hopefully not every year.
So how come it is so hard for many people to decide what to give on Valentines day? Simple. Lack of thought and lack of preparation!
Now, you might take offense at the notion that you can be accused of a lack of preparation. I'm sure you love your partner (and even if you don't, you probably want to stay with them, which means you want to keep them happy). So how can I sit here and accuse you of a lack of thought? Easy. 95% of people who give a Valentines gift buy it in the three days leading up to Valentines day itself. This very fact means that a lack of lead time greatly limits the choices available. If you are restricted to the gifts available in your local garage supermarket, let's face it, you're missing out on an awful lot of the romantic gifts that are out there!
So here are our top five Valentines day gifts. We're going to keep this short and snappy. You don't need to look beyond these five categories, ever. Why? because even if your other half has expressed a deep deep love of something in particular and you can buy a special gift that relates to their special hobby or obsession, you want to give a Valentines gift that is simply about you and them. NOT about their hobby, their interests, their likes. A Valentines gift should be a cold hard reminder of the fact that you love somebody. And therefore it should belong to the "Valentines day gifts" category of products.
Getting back to the top five Valentines day gifts, these are my five top romantic Valentines gift ideas:
1. Lingerie. You can only buy lingerie if you and your partner are actually still sleeping together. Otherwise they may take it as a complaint (i.e. an indication of what you'd like and are not getting!) or as an indication that you want to move things on which might be taken as too pushy if your relationship hasn't actually reached this stage yet. However, if you enjoy a good physical relationship then lingerie is the absolute number one gift because there is nothing more intimate, special and great for strengthening your bond. Buy quality lingerie though. Something sexy but classy. Avoid super cheap and tacky styles and go for something classy like a basque and suspenders. Stick to white or black.
2. Flowers. Flowers from the local garage don't cut it anymore - even though they have improved a lot. Romantic bouquets can be bought cheaply with fast and free delivery. There's no excuse not to buy Valentines flowers from a proper online florist and there are plenty of these. Choose a dozen roses (buying one will just make you look mean) or a spring seasonal bouquet.
3. Chocolate. I'm not talking about a £3 supermarket half price box of milk chocs here either. Order quality chocolates from one of the many online chocolatiers. Choose a classic continental style box that is beautifully wrapped. Bigger is better.
4. Spa vouchers/beauty treatments. Women (and men) love being pampered and a spa voucher or beauty treatment is a fantastic romantic gift and is sure to go down well. It shows a selfless side because it's something for your partner to enjoy alone. There are lots of spas and beauty clinics that will sell vouchers for spa days and treatments.
5. Romantic break for two. If your budget will stretch to it, a romantic hotel break for two is a fantastic Valentines day gift. It really has it all, romantic, excitement, intimacy and something for you both to look forward too. Make sure you choose a child free hotel in a peaceful romantic setting. Some hotels are especially for adults and do not allow couple with children to stay. That might sound a bit mean spirited, but you want this weekend to be about the two of you.
I hope these romantic gift ideas are some help. Keep it simple, keep it classic. Keep it romantic this Valentines day. Good luck!